Baby Brezza is aware of the controversary surrounding the preparation of powdered infant formula milk (IFM).
Some national health organizations, including the NHS, recommend the use of boiled water or boiled water cooled down to 70 degrees Celsius to prepare IFM
- Why? Formula powder isn’t sterile and there is concern that bacteria in the formula powder could contaminate the milk after preparation and cause illness
Other countries e.g. USA/ France, take a different view and recommend that IFM is prepared with bottled water or cooled, boiled water
- Why? Heat treatments reduce the nutritional value of the IFM. The baby’s nutrition is considered to be more important than a heat treatment which is probably ineffective against bacteria when starting with 70°C water.
All countries agree that good hygiene is essential in the preparation of IFM and that if stored, the IFM is immediately refrigerated until use.
While the experts can’t agree on the above, and considering all the arguments, the Baby Brezza team set to design a product that would prepare a bottle of milk that is
- Of perfect nutritional value for the child (so no heat treatment, and the perfect ratio of powder to liquid EVERY time)
- Fresh, with no need for storage – eliminating the risk of bacterial growth post preparation (so had to be quick and easy to prepare a bottle, even when soothing a hungry baby)
- Prepared under good hygiene practices (powder and milk kept apart until the moment they are mixed, easy to clean, and reduced risk of hand contamination of the powder)
The result is the Formula Pro. Not all organisations agree with its use, but we believe that when used properly, and cleaned regularly it is an invaluable tool for parents and carers.
While the design team have made cleaning easy, it remains the responsibility of the parent/ carer to clean the Formula Pro properly and use good hygiene practices. As with any baby product, not following the instructions fully could risk infection. Full instructions can be found here, but in summary, cleaning involves
- Always using cooled, boiled water in the machine
- Changing the water in the tank daily
- Cleaning the funnel, funnel cover and wiping the dispensing hole daily
- Completing a thorough clean monthly
- Without touching the powder, pouring the entire contents of the powder tin into the dry powder container, and keeping the lid on at all times.
If there are any concerns as to whether the Formula Pro is a suitable choice for a particular baby’s feeds a doctor or health visitor should be consulted.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article